Saturday, December 22, 2012

I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas

We've been talking about some things that the boys would like to get for Christmas here lately. Thankfully, Ethan is easy to buy for and when I ask him what will happen if he doesn't get what he wants, he tells me, "well, that will be fine." He has been concerned about a gift though; he wants to know what his mama wants. Isn't that sweet? (Ronnie says these boys spoil me, but I don't see it.)

So, Thursday morning I had the hankering to listen to the Shirley Temple song, I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas, with Ezra while I was getting ready for work. I sang terribly, but loud. And Ezra got a kick out of it.

When Ethan woke up I told him I had finally figured out what I wanted.

"What, Mama?"

And I started singing. Once I finished a couple of lines I stopped and looked at him, waiting for a response.

"Really? You want a hippopotamus for Christmas?"

"Yes, I do. Is there a problem?"

"Well, we'll have to get a really big cage. They're really big you know."

"No. I thought I'd put him in the bedroom with you and Elijah. I don't want my hippopotamus in a cage outside."

"Well, they need a lot of water. When they get hot, they use it to cool off."

"It's not hot. It's really cold outside. Why do we need a lot of water?"

"But they eat a ton of grass, Mama!"

"Look outside! We have lots of grass!"

"Is that really what you want for Christmas?"

"Yes, it is."

At this point I walked out of the room so I could get dressed for work and I heard the following exchange between Ethan and Elijah.

"Elijah, Mama told me what she wants for Christmas."

"Otay. Wat?"

Big sigh. "A hippopotamus."

Quizzically, "a hippo-pot-mus?

"Yes, that's what she wants. You think we should get one?"

"Yea"

"I think we should probably get seven, okay?"

"Otay."

Then I hear little feet running to me. "We're getting you seven hippopotamuses for Christmas!!"

I love it!

No comments: