Wednesday, July 3, 2013

What's In A Name - Part 1

I thought it would be fun to explain the reasoning behind the names that Ronnie and I have chosen for each of our kids. I don't think I've ever written it down and I'd like the boys (and girl) to have the story of how their name was chosen to read when they're older.

I'll do Ethan this week and go through until Little Miss is born and we announce her name. :)

Ethan at his 2nd birthday party.

When Ronnie and I started dating we told each other that we didn't want to have kids. Ha! We were just going to date for awhile and then go our separate ways. Ha! At least that's what young me thought since I was heading off to college and wanted to explore the world without being tied down. 

Wasn't I silly?

Within a few months I began to realize that this Ronnie guy wasn't very easy to scare away and that there may be something to our relationship beyond weekend dates. It didn't take long before we were talking marriage and dreaming about our future family. 

For some reason we decided that we wanted four kids. He has three sisters and I have 2 siblings so a smaller family just wouldn't cut it. In our minds at the time we thought we'd have 2 boys and 2 girls and we picked out their names. 

The very first name we picked was the first name we used: Ethan Tate. I had always loved the name Ethan and didn't know very many guys with that name. It is of Hebrew origin and has a good meaning: firm, strong. Just what I'd want my boy to be, firm in his beliefs and strong, both physically and mentally. Ronnie didn't argue as he liked it too, but he was very particular about the middle name. He wanted him named after his grandfather. So we decided that Ethan Tate sounded good together and we tucked the name away to use when we had our future children. 

Fast forward 5-ish years and when we went for the gender ultrasound of our second pregnancy and found out that we were expecting a boy, we knew automatically what his name would be. The easiest time choosing a name we've had yet. 

Just a little side note: we ended up not using any of the other names we chose when we chose Ethan's name. How odd is that?

No comments: