Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sick Baby

I have been dealing with a sick baby this week. No. It's not Ronnie. He's not even here.

Little Elijah hasn't been feeling well. He started coughing last week (during VBS after being around sick children whose parents didn't have the sense to keep them at home), but it wasn't anything major. He had an appointment on Monday with his pediatrician to check his weight. He went from 11lb., 50z. to 13lb., 2oz. in a little over a month so we're good on weight gain for now. But when the nurse listened to his heart and lungs she promptly left the room and returned with the contraption that checks oxygen levels. His levels were really good. But after the doctor checked him she ordered an RSV test and a breathing treatment. The RSV test was cool...steal a booger from the kid's nose and we're good to go. Cool meaning that my child wasn't screaming. Bring on the nebulizer with a big scary mask and my child could not be consoled. I felt so bad holding him still, but I wanted him to feel better. The doctor came back and gave me all the info: negative for RSV (yay!), lungs sound rough so you'll have to give him breathing treatments every 4 hours (yuck!), stuff has backed into his ears so he has an infection and he'll be taking an antibiotic (no biggie), we really have no clue what's causing this so hopefully it will clear up, but if it's allergies there's really nothing to do to prevent these issues so we'll treat them when the arise, see you back in a few weeks.

So at 2:00, 6:00 and 10:00 I get to torture my sweet baby with a nebulizer full of albuterol and hear him scream while squirming with all of his might. I hate it and I'm sure he does too. But the good news is that he's starting to sound a little better. Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon!

No comments: